Jacob’s Church Seeks a New Pastor: Church Overview and Job Description
Jacob’s Church, the Church on a Hill, Shining Forth for Jesus Christ, has served a community from Lehigh and Berks counties for more than 250 years. Located at 8373 King’s Highway, New Tripoli, PA, Jacob’s is set in the beautiful countryside of northwestern Lehigh County, overlooking Leaser Lake. We are an independent
church with a congregation of 500 members (approximately 250 active) rooted in a Bible-believing doctrine and brought together each Sunday for a blended service featuring traditional and contemporary themes. Jacob’s community welcomes all those seeking His truth. Pursuing God’s will through prayer and diligent study of the Word, the Church and its members strive to serve God and man by using the Spiritual Gifts given by God.
About the Church’s character, Jacob’s strength comes from our fellowship through activities and service to the community, which attract and support members in the community as well as Jacob’s members working together. We strive to provide opportunities for all to learn and grow in Christ’s love. The Church hosts various
activities, including a Stephen’s Ministry program, Vacation Bible School, Bible and book studies, youth groups, men’s and women’s support groups, and community events such as the Annual Oyster Supper and traditional German Pig Stomach Dinner. Our staff includes a Youth Leader, Music Director, and Church Secretary and enjoys the support of a dedicated volunteer community. For additional information about Jacob’s Church, our
Church Constitution and vision, our community, and our history, please visit www.jacobschurch.org.
JOB DESCRIPTION: PASTOR
Jacob’s Church is presently seeking a full-time Pastor to lead the Church ministry, worship, and community, and support the Church Constitution, mission and vision. Candidates for this role should be Biblically-grounded, believing that the Bible is the inerrant and inspired Word of God.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
The Pastor will facilitate the mission and vision of the Church across all Church ministries, serving as the visible, accountable and approachable leader of the Church community and a central point for Church coordination. Responsible for comprehensive Church ministry and service planning and coordination, the Pastor will:
● Lead worship services each week, including sermon preparation and delivery, service planning, and special functions (i.e., Communion, Baptisms, etc.);
● Lead ministry planning, including supporting existing ministries, assessing the need for additional ministries; teaching (i.e., Bible Studies), leading prayer meetings, providing Evangelism and discipleship training, and supporting other Church ministry and education activities;
● Provide counseling, including conflict resolution and mediation, premarital counseling
● Promote Church community outreach and engagement, conducting Congregation meetings and outreach, visitations (hospitals, nursing homes, church members, potential new members), home communions for elderly and other members, providing new member orientation, and performing other community engagement and relations activities;
● Officiate weddings, funerals, dedications and baptisms, and other special Church ceremonies and events;
● Lead confirmation instruction, congregation education and denominational work;
● Lead and support event planning for special events, annual events, and retreats;
● Attend Church Board and Elders meetings and other committee meetings, reporting to the Congregation and Church Board as requested, including the preparation of an annual Pastor’s report;
● Supervise Church staff, volunteers and committee members for various activities, functions and duties; Provide Church budgeting input and suggestions; and,
● Maintain church office hours and other administrative duties.
Experience and Personal Qualities:
The ideal candidate will:
● Be deeply committed Christian with a growing faith in Jesus Christ who is continually being renewed by the grace of God, and eager to exemplify the Church’s primary purpose to worship God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in spirit and truth;
● Hold an unshakable belief: in God, the Father, Creator of Heaven and Earth, in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, through only Him we have salvation, in the Holy Spirit, whose fruits are: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and gentleness, and in the Divinely inspired Word of God, the Bible, for daily guidance and comfort;
● Have a sincere and strong desire to introduce all people to Jesus Christ and patiently encourage them to accept Him into their hearts as their personal Lord and Savior;
● Be committed to the evangelical tradition and able to interpret Scripture in such a way as to create messaging, programs and activities that are compatible with the Bible and with evangelical theology, and recognizing and prepared for the realities of spiritual warfare;
● Be committed to working in an environment of shared leadership (elders, deacons, staff, ministry teams); The ideal candidate’s experience will include:
● Previous church leadership and ministry experience, including providing pastoral services to a diverse congregation;
● Service and sermon planning, and experience leading congregation education, studies and classes;
● Experience in performing a church’s special functions and ceremonial leadership, such as officiating weddings and funerals;
● Experience in counseling, conflict resolution and mediation, and other outreach services;
● A demonstrated ability to coordinate and lead congregation and community events, activities and outreach; and,
● A Master’s of Divinity (M.Div). degree or equivalent from an accredited institution.
The candidate must complete (A) criminal background and (B) Child Abuse Check.
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The position is located in New Tripoli, Pa.
To apply, please submit the following: a statement of faith, a resume and cover letter, a written sermon or link to a video sermon sample, and five references. Interested candidates should submit all application materials and questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
MUSIC DIRECTOR, JACOB’S CHURCH
Introduction: The Church Board of Jacob’s Church appreciates the incorporation into our worship services of time-honored hymns with traditional church instruments and vocals for inspiration, edification and convention. We also value the inclusion of contemporary songs with various instruments and vocal arrangements that appeal to a diverse and youthful audience. Accordingly, we expect a “blended” approach to music that regularly incorporates the traditional and the modern in a cohesive yet creative manner. And, regardless of the choice of genre, the Board expects all music to be grounded in scripture, true to biblical theology and worthy of expression in a holy environment.
Position Purpose: The Music Director will oversee the music program of Jacob’s Church with the purpose of leading the congregation in praising God in worship. The music program includes, but is not limited to, music for Sunday Blended Worship and special services, senior choir and musical assistance for the Sunday School program and drama/dance program.
- A deeply committed Christian with a growing faith in Jesus Christ, striving to live according to the Jacob’s Church Code of Conduct, and who is continually being renewed by the grace of God;
- Committed to working with a team and raising up other leaders in the music ministry
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish an enthusiastic positive environment where the suggestions of others are respectfully considered;
- Provide the instrumental music (organ, piano, keyboard, etc.) at all Sunday Blended Worship Services throughout the year and at special worship occasions as determined in conjunction with the Pastor;
- Rehearse and direct the Senior Choir to sing at all Blended Sunday Worship Services September through June and arrange and schedule special music July through August;
- Rehearse and direct the Praise Band to play at all Sunday Blended Worship Services;
- Select music for all traditional Sunday Worship Services in conjunction with the Music Committee including hymns, choir anthems & cantatas and praise songs;
- Secure vocalists and/or instrumentalists for special music, overseeing utilizing the talents and abilities of congregational members whenever possible;
- Maintain a current list of congregational musical abilities and develop strategies to identify, encourage, and utilize these music talents in the worship life of Jacob’s Church;
- Enthusiastically recruit vocalists and instrumentalists for the music ministry of the church; nurture an atmosphere of learning support, mutual care, and joy;
- Provide for qualified substitutes for all absences;
- Provide for significant visibility for the music ministry of the congregation through newsletter articles, posters, bulletin announcements, etc.;
- Choose and purchase music within the approved budgetary parameters;
- Participate when possible in weddings, funerals and special community services;
- Submit budget requests for the music program each fall as part of the budgetary process;
- Must be willing to attend workshops, seminars, etc. to further their musical expertise and to enhance the worship experience;
- Submit a report each year for the Annual Report of the Congregation;
- An annual performance review will be done with the Pastor and Church Board;
- Work with all staff and musicians of the congregation so that the music ministry is enhanced within the life of the church;
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
The starting salary is negotiable based on experience.
The Church Board prefers to hire one individual to perform all the job duties listed above but will consider multiple people if no single candidate is identified who can fulfill all the desired responsibilities.
To apply, please submit the following: a statement of faith, a resume and cover letter. Interested candidates should submit all application materials and questions to: email@example.com.